Monday, August 25, 2008

Pop Music



This is the image that most people associate with pop music, or at least something similar. For most it is a hellish creation that no matter how hard we try to escape it always somehow finds a way to our my musically attune ears and it kills us to hear it. 

It's true, the current pop music scene is deplorable. When bands groomed by Disney like Hannah Montana and others fill arenas with young adolescents who somehow manage to get their hands on tickets that are well out of my price range. I freaked out when I paid $40 to go see Nas this Friday, but these shows for Hannah Montana and the likes are selling out in minutes, and if you missed the slim chance on ticketmaster, you were forced to pay prices that reached triple digits. Insanity!

But pop music isn't all bad, and here are a few tracks I've been feeling recently. They aren't going to change the world in any way, pop music rarely does, and these songs will be soon collecting dust on my hard drive in a month. Part of this is due to the fact that very soon these songs will be everywhere from blasting out of every college party and bar to my sisters speakers. But there is some guilty pleasure I have always derived from pop tunes, but lately I've come to peace with these guilty pleasures. Music is supposed to be fun, and all of these songs I've enjoyed in one instance or another recently. 

A couple of T.I. tracks with good features. The first is a track he did featuring The Dream, who is all over everything these days with that spacey sound that makes it perfect for summer. The chorus is so cheesy it's enjoyable, another trademark of pop music. 


This one is with T.I. and Rihanna. Anyone who tells you they didn't like Umbrella is lying, and the same goes for Justin Timberlake's My Love which came out a few years ago, which coincidentally featured T.I. who seems to have a great ability to mold his street style (he is awaiting trial that could land him in prison) into something that fits very well into a pop song. This track is perfect evidence of this as the beat is more flowery than what T.I. usually tackles but the flow works and the wordplay is decent. 

And I'd rather listen to Rihanna on the hook than T-Pain at this point, who seems to be the only other viable option in this day and age. 


This last one I really like. Futurecop, who I hadn't heard of until I stumbled upon this mix that remixes Ciara's One Two Step. The result, as you may have guessed, is pop magic meant for the late summer nights rollin' through your city. 

No comments: