Monday, January 19, 2009

First Black President


As I'm sure you all know, Obama is ushered into the White House tomorrow and if you're like me you will be skipping a gym class (or whatever you may be doing) to watch the speech. There have been a plethora of Obama inspired pieces that have come to the light of day recently, some decent some bad some just strange. One that has stuck in my mind was a video put together by NYOIL that opens with Obama talking about the importance of the father in families, but the video is set to Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin' On'. As the song loops Marvin I couldn't help but say wait a second, wasn't Marvin Gaye killed by his father?

But I digress. When I think Obama and the music that he inspired I think of two songs. Nas' 'Black President' and Young Jeezy's 'My President Is Black'. While I think Nas' track is the stronger of the two and addresses Obama's election and what it means in a more analytical way, Young Jeezy's track is much more celebratory. It is appropriate then that the video for Young Jeezy's ode to Obama be released just before his inauguration. Check it out. 



And I could never forget about the great Martin Luther King Jr. I feel like Obama is giving MLK day more meaning this year, as it becomes not just a day to remember the past but to celebrate the course our country is on with the inauguration looming. But I also always love MLK day because it means some Martin Luther King focused hip-hop tracks come out which are always a joy. I'm a sucker for the Dr. King-preacher voice samples. 

Overcome, Overcame
Cause there's a hundred black millionaires in the game
And the one thing that really trip me out
Is there's about to be one up in the White House

No comments: