Sunday, March 29, 2009

They Call This (Hip-Hop)


A few Detroit related tracks have popped up recently. This first one is Classified, along with Royce Da 5'9'' and B.oB. aka Bobby Ray. I've been listening to quite a bit of Royce lately, particularly his great album Death Is Certain, particularly the undeniably smooth 'What I Know' that is a perfect track to bump when driving around Detroit. 

But back to this track. I kind of knew what to expect from a Royce and Classified collaboration, as they have done it before on 'Unexplainable Hunger'. Royce's verse on that song was crazy and everyone fit well I thought. But I wasn't sure how the young B.o.B. would fare as his rap style is much more mellow and different in general. But he fares well and does something that is a little different. I love it when artists step out of their usual thing because if they are talented it generally ends up great. 


Another Detroit heavy track. What always has confused me is the immense love Detroit rappers get overseas. Royce Da 5'9'' is way more respected over in Europe than in America. I've heard some Europeans say he's better than Jay-Z, which shows the love he gets over there. The same goes for Guilty Simpson. They can't get enough of it. When I attended Rock the Bells hip-hop festival in Detroit Guilty Simpson performed early in the day and chastised the crowd for not being 'live enough'. He claimed that people over Europe give him more love. Don't get me wrong I love Guilty Simpson, but Europeans are treating him like David Hasselhof. The man is just not primed for super stardom in my opinion. I don't even mean that to be negative as I think a lot of his skill comes from being a more underground artist. I honestly think Europeans just like the image of Detroit as that grimey and dangerous American city. Just a theory. After all, there are no Europeans visiting Detroit. 

Anyways, true to form this is a track from a German production duo called JR & PH7. I can hear some Detroit influence in the beat along with some DJ Shadow, which is a beautiful mixture. It also features Black Milk which creates a nice Detroit duo. 



No comments: