Wednesday, January 6, 2010

D'Evils


A strange thing has happened these last couple of days as I have been listening a lot to Tupac's masterful Makaveli: The Don Killuminati 7-Day Theory. Released shortly after his death, the inspiration from this album was founded when Tupac read Makaveli's 'The Prince' in prison. The album, one of Tupac's most politically energized works, is often interpreted to speak directly against the Illuminati secret occult society that seeks to control the world and maintain that control through subliminal messages (more or less). A stretch I know, but I can dig because Tupac wasn't really concerned with said secret society but instead the crippling forces such as racism that destroyed his community. Or maybe the whole Biggie Tupac beef was really created by the Illuminati because they know Pac had figured them out! 

Tupac- Krazy

Now I thought after listening to Tupac for a while and glancing over 'The Prince' my foray into hip-hop and the occult had finished. But then Jay-Z released his music video for 'On To The Next One' and it has conspiracy theorists up in arms. 




Now I thought the video was a little strange, but overall it was interesting. But people are taking this thing seriously claiming that the video is evidence that Jay-Z is Illuminati himself and that Satan's takeover is quickly approaching. There is even discussion that Heath Ledger's death was ritual sacrifice. No joke. Check it.  

Now I'm all for a good conspiracy theory or two. I'm also all for the proletariat rising against the bourgeoise type thing. But like most conspiracy theories this one takes a few weak instances that resemble evidence and use it to support a theory that ends with Satan walking the earth. Just pump those brakes for a second. So what you're telling me is that because of this four minute video and a hand full of split second images it is definitive proof that Jay-Z is a member of a secret Satanic cult that controls everything (assuming such a cult even exists) and that he is just trying to indoctrinate the world and prepare the Earth for the time when Satan arrives? And you want me to buy this!? 

My whole problem with this is its total reliance on the interpretation of symbols. For instance, when I see the image of two bullets next to a crucifix I am not tempted to think Jay-Z is a Satanist, I instead think of how divisive Christianity often is and how religion is often the source of some of the most ugly violence our world has ever seen (see the Crusades and Europe for most of its history). Who's to say I'm not right? No one, because it's an interpretation not a fact. On to the next one!



No comments: